Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Playing in the Dirt on the Road of Independence

"A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Our first step was in New Canaan, CT on Sunday afternoon, and fortunately for us we have wheels. By Monday evening we completed our first 1,000 miles when we rolled into Nashville, TN on three good tires and a spare.

The best part about renting is the lack of responsibility. As renters of our car, we don't have the pride of ownership, but we also don't have the burden of responsibility.

When our tire burst on I-40, I was somewhat glad it wasn't entirely my problem, but then again we were the ones on the side of the road in the rain. When the car rental company told me roadside assistance would be there in an hour, my impatient independence inspired me to get out in the rain, lie on my stomach in the dirt and change the tire. But the joys of renting prevailed when we took the car to the Nashville airport and exchanged it for a new one.



On this first leg of our journey we are retracing our steps of independence. We spent much of Sunday driving through Pennsylvania--a vital link to our Nation's independence as home to the drafting of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. In Carlisle, PA we visited Dickinson College where Amy lived for her first year after moving away from home. On Monday we completed our drive to Nashville, TN where I (and Amy, after freshman year) moved to attend Vanderbilt University. It's been more than 8 years since I moved from my childhood home to explore the world beyond Illinois. And now I just keep moving...

No comments:

Post a Comment